Human Resource function is not a generic function, where in Receptionist/Administrative Assistant/Safety Officer/Welfare Office/clerical staff/typist/stenographers can be transferred from other department to Human resources department.
In unorganised or semi organised or first generation entrepreneur or family driven company human resource function is considered as back end function, where in Receptionist/Administrative Assistant/ clerical staff/typist/stenographers/time office clerk/accountant are absorbed to Human resources department without any formal qualification – MBA – HR, MPM, MSW, DSW etc .
Some of the government organisation or public sector undertaking are having professionals of human resources in the organisation, where as some of them have created or developed the department from the existing resources. There is no human resources department in Indian Air force, Navy, Army, BSF, ITBP or Police department leading to lack of flexibility in the organisation.
There has been certain myth about H.R. function in first generation entrepreneur or family driven company, which are mentioned below –
- It is a generic function.
- Salary distribution is a HR function.
- Cleaning of dust/toilet/grass cutting is H.R. function.
- All administrative functions – Canteen/House Keeping/Security/Transit Flat/O.H.C./Transportation is human resources function
- It is a police/union management function
- Distribution of Tea is H.R. function.
- HR is a owner’s agent or spy.
- HR is file manager work.
- HR is meant for doodhpatti management
- HR is meant for generator set or diesel consumption management.
In present time of globalization, each manager has to be a global manager. Human resource functional has become more specialised expertise with new skills set as categorised below –
- Human Resources Function in Modern era – It starts from conception/strategies/long term vision specific goals/objective function to run the business. It manages people business to Boardroom decision maker. It is people/human capital management in modern management.
- Industrial Relations function – It is relating to digest different temperaments in the process of relationship developed during operation of business in the organisation among employees. Now, proactive industrial relations arenamed as employee relations.
- Administrative function – It needs execution skills in order to need administrative work from housekeeping, security, canteen, AMCs, horticulture, Pantry etc. It is renamed as facility management function.
- Welfare function – It Consist of statutory, Non statutory and voluntary welfare activities presently termed as reward and reward and recognition function.
- OD Function – It consists of organisational design for creating culture consisting of various surveys.
- Wage and Salary – This has been renamed as compensation and benefits consisting of monthly pay out to employee.
A sum total of all the function from HR/IR/Administration/welfare/OD/wage & salary makes complete Human Resources function. Attrition within the HR function is more due to lack of clear concept in first generation entrepreneur industries or family business hiring professional for nonprofessional work.
A Human Resources function consists of all process involved from recruitment till discharge activity in employee life cycle. There is no more Personnel & Administration or Personnel & Industrial mixed function.
De-facto, most of the theories in human resources are imported from western country, which suits to their Social/Economical/Political/Geographical needs, which cannot be imported and implanted into Indian business environment.
Thereby each industry should implement principles of human resources from conceptual stage to implementation phase as per the business needs instead of copying and pasting from other industry/western country.
Human resource function started from Time Office, Policing, Personnel, Admin, IR, HR, People Manager and Manager Happiness over a period of time. It is therefore, advised that we should have right man for the right job for the right time with the right skill. Meaning that each function should have right skill, which are not interchangeable without developing skills set required to perform in HR function.
A Human Resources function consists of all process involved from recruitment till discharge activity in employee life cycle. There is no more Personnel & Administration or Personnel & Industrial mixed function. Each function is a specialised function within the umbrella of human resources as on today. In present time, most of the processes of the human resources has been our sourced to the out ide vendors or technology partners. Hence, Human resource function has become strategic function from office location to board level decision making purpose for the business.
In the light of changing business module skill sets is changing very fast as compare to changes in the curriculum of management or technical institutes leading to problem of growing employability. Hence, each functional manager has to become business manager for the growth of the industry. HRM has to gear up to face the future challenges ahead of business in the times to come.
So, keep updating your elf to remain in the main stream of your respective function in order to remain head of competition for keeping pace with the changing time. Always remember the principle of survival for the fittest.