The first-hand proposal that has been suggested by Unit HR Head is quite valid and in such circumstances, any HR expert would suggest so. However, while executing these proposals it is obvious that Industrial peace should be compromised and to bring Industrial peace for a longer time a lesson to be taught or surgery is being planned as it is cancer.
This is the only unit which introduced contractual employees and now few of them are not only doing the casual job even occupied in the main position. If in case the situation is moving out of hand then it could be a potential risk that contractual workmen may also get united to protect their rights as working being permanent is lucrative in all sense.
2 -The employee relations are on bomb-shell can be exploded at any point in time. In good time management or HR was doing fire-fighting or more focused toward short term HR/IR strategies. In good time management were liberal and adopted a holistic approach which now union takes it for granted. If management or HR had done settlement or to meet out union demands on management conditions, introduced variable pay package linked with production efficiency, quality, and quality, good conduct bond, establish a skill assessment centre and implementing hiring model by engaging outsourced, fixed-term, trainees, apprentices and many others, etc. then definitely it would have made a difference.
4 - In these circumstances first and foremost task is to generate trust in the management that the problem is complex and could be resolved but in phases. Be bold to communicate that no other person either internal or external will able to resolve the way I could so, let trust on me. Provide a complete roadmap of plan A, B and C. with possibilities, consequences and ways to address unforeseen. I would take the plant/production people also in confidence to build a team and involve them at certain stages. Single person cannot implement the strategy. Overall when such a situation is there, management should be ready to take risk to some extent.
- Establish governance for communication by involving key stakeholders and leadership team. Simultaneously a SWAT and QRT in place.
- Continue negotiation talks with the union as frequent as you can. Prefer to approach Conciliatory authority for intervention for tripartite settlement.
- Create a chunk of opinion makers or news mongers.
- To counter the collective bargaining prepare a charter of demand on behalf of management. Incorporate a condition that to appreciate wage revision value management view for separating X number of permanent employees. For example, if management agree on a certain percentage of hike so these Y numbers, shall be separated in the interest of the business. Prepare a list of deadwood from white-collars as well and plan their separation to establish genuineness of issue.
- Be ready with all possible statistics of personnel of permanent nature (blue and white collar) and identified low hanging fruits for separation.
- Also, keep ready working on VRS.
- Plan to introduce a new hiring model and outsourced facilities solution for product manufacturing.
- Establish strong liaison with Govt. labour law enforcement, administrative authorities, police, legal experts, media, and other influencing bodies who support in contingency and to protect the business interest.
- Keep aloof contractual workmen from all this chorus.
- Hire services or on-board an SME or advisor for intellectual and strategic support.
- Prepare a detailed and comprehensive working sheet which comprises the following:
- Area of concern
- Probable outcome
- Risk Mitigation plan
- Resources/budget required
- Apply tactics or strategy meant