TIPS TO PROTECT YOUR INFORMATION
1. Ascertain and prioritize confidential information based on value and confidentiality.
2. Apprehend and study the movement of information, understanding how, where and when it is modified, processed or distributed. After analysing information flows, susceptibilities become visible. Then, perform a risk assessment on these vulnerabilities.
3. Formulate appropriate access, usage and information distribution guidelines.
4. Implement a monitoring and enforcement system. Establish control points to monitor information usage and traffic. Verify compliance with distribution policies and take enforcement action for violation of those policies.
5. Train employees on how to handle confidential, private and sensitive information.
6. Label confidential information as a practical discouragement for misusing confidential information.
7. Insert non-disclosure provisions in employment agreements. If a company has confidential information that is particularly sensitive, it should be clearly identified in the employee’s employment contract.
9. Put in place a social media policy.
10. Use physical and electronic security methods.