Conflict is defined as a clash between individuals arising out of a difference in thought process, attitudes, understanding, interests, requirements and even sometimes perceptions. Whenever two individuals opines differently for the same situation conflict may arise.
Off course behavioral conflicts leads to stress, whether it is in organization or in a friend circle or in a family. When an organizational team is working on a common goal like team of "all time services" is working, behavioral conflicts are bound to happen.
Differences among people should not be regarded as inherently "good" or "bad." Sometimes differences result in important benefits to the organization; and sometimes they are disruptive, reducing the over-all effectiveness of individuals and organizations.
As Vikas was overloaded and the symptoms of stress is clearly visible in his actions and thoughts, getting call from a security personnel at 1 AM and information about the office back door gate kept open by somebody made him more stressed.
Following symptoms of stress can easily be seen in Vikas behavior:
1. Due to the other work pressure, he could not concentrate on the report which is to be present in board meeting by his chairperson and failed to complete the same. This shows that due to work pressure Vikas could not prioritize his job.
2. Discussion took place between Vikas & Navneet also went in a wrong direction, as Navneet was trying to convince him regarding the business conditions and increase in manpower may add further financial burden on company.
3. Just after completing hot discussion, Vikas saw some unattended clients on reception and non-availability of attendants made him more furious.
4. When asked for explanation from Mr. Naman regarding the non-availability of attendants at reception, again Vikas came to know about the Navneet's behavior for attendants.
5. Situation went more worse, when Vikas asked his secretary for a letter and found glaring mistakes that had changed the entire context of letter. (Secretary appointed on Navneet' s recommendation)
If we analyze all five episodes one by one, every time Vikas was in stress and things were not falling as per his expectations.
Committing mistakes is a human, when you do something there are always a two possibility either you will be able to complete the task satisfactorily or up to the expectation or exceptionally well and second is if you are in a pressure and do not put your fullest efforts, chances of failure becomes more, so advice is, whenever you commit any mistake or feel yourself in a pressure/stress, you must pause yourself for a while before taking next action, this shall avoid any unpleasant argument with your colleague or teammate or at home.
All five episodes happened with Mr. Vikas made him biased and he started thinking that who was the last person left the office? Was it Navneet, may be or may not be.
While driving towards office, Vikas had quick recap of all the things which has made him in stress, like his work had become monotonous and so full of work that very often he got exhausted by the time he reached home. The frustration was so much that it was affecting his behavior at home. Arguments with his wife had increased lately, and he often found himself scolding his two children for minor things that would not have had an impact in him earlier.
Situation happening with Mr. Vikas may happen with anybody working in a pressure for longer hrs., without balancing personal & professional life. To some extent, for making balance in a personal & professional life, employees himself or herself are responsible. Things are changing very fast. Hard work is being replaced with smart work, use of technology and management skills may help in reducing this kind of pressure and stress of employees.
Vikas may take a short break from his professional life and may go for a holiday with family, in order to rejuvenate the energy level.
Organization must analyze the whole situation, that where the things are going wrong and accordingly make take the corrective actions.
Star performer of the team may also feel some stress and pressure due to many external as well as internal factors, organization must help them coming out of this kind of situation by counselling, sending them for a small holiday or nominating them for a training program.