Article (November-2016)

Articles

Building Trust Factor

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Designation : -   General Manager - HR

Organization : -   Mangal Electrical Industries Pvt Limited

01-Nov-2016

10000+ View        

Trust is the key ingredient for an organization. Every organization has its own culture and philosophy to build trust and demonstrate it. It transcends to employees, customers, contractors vendors and anyone who comes across with the organization extending to the products, process, people etc. How we build the trust, is what each organization has to figure out. As they say, it takes time to build but easy to break on, we can build trust via ethical standards, complying with law, safety standards, Working condition statutory obligation, respect and dignity etc. etc.

Trust is the bedrock of leadership.  While there are many other important aspects of sound leadership, trust is foundational.  Without it, nothing else matters.  Regardless of how charismatic a leader may be, without trust, he or she will have no followers. The  reality is that it is  very fragile.  It must be carefully built and nurtured; yet one false step can seriously damage or even destroy it.  There may be a few of us who give our trust freely until that trust is violated, but for most of us, it's the other way around . . . we withhold our trust until it is earned. 

New wave of Trust:
Most People know that ocean currents are one of the most powerful forces that influence climate on earth. However many people are unaware that two type of currents - one we can see that called surface current and another one deep water currents.

Surface current make only about 10 % and the other 90 % are called deep water currents. These deep water currents are driven primarily by gravity of the entire continents (that called culture of an organization) but difficult to see.

So how does a leader earn that trust?  

  • Consider a quote from Best thought leader:-
     
  • "The task of the leader is to get his people from where they are to where they have not been." - Henry Kissinger
     
  • "Trust is the glue of life.  It's the most essential ingredient in effective communication.  It's the foundational principle that holds all relationships." - Stephen Covey.  
     
  • So we put Kissinger and Covey together, and we see that without the "glue" that binds leaders to followers, a leader cannot get his people "from where they are to where they have not been."  In short, the leader can't do his or her job.
     
  • Develop the 'glue'
     
  • Keep your motives pure: When you pursue something that benefits the entire group, you strengthen the glue . . . self-serving motives weaken it.
     
  • Share Information
     
  • Focus on Results and accountability
     
  • "Do as I say, not as I do," has never been a good leadership practice, nor is it here.  To build trust, you need to do more than talk the talk.  Lead by example.
     
  • Talk straight and confront real issue.
     
  • Be true to your word, consistently.  Do what you say you're going to do, when you say you're going to do it, always.
     
  • Don't hold meeting after meeting
     
  • Trust is a 2-way street.  Your people won't trust you unless you demonstrate that you trust them too.
     
  • Practice transparency and authenticity
     
  • Learn to be a good listener.  Don't dismiss other people's ideas out-of-hand.  People will be more willing to follow your ideas if they know their ideas have been heard and considered.
     
  • Give it time.  If you believe that trust has to be earned, then don't expect full commitment based on a single promise kept.  Your people will want to know that you're not a one-trick pony  that you deliver on your promises consistently over time.
     
  • Show loyalty to be absent
     
  • Don't shift blame.  If you screw something up (and we all do), own it.  When you admit to failures or mistakes, you strengthen the trust "glue" because you show up as authentic, not as a phoney.


"Trust is the glue of life. It's the most essential ingredient in effective communication. It's the foundational principle that holds all relationships."? Stephen R. Covey